Barberry Golden Rocket (Berberis Thunbergii Golden rocket) is a beautiful ornamental plant that can serve as a decoration for any garden. The culture is often used in landscaping and is unpretentious in care. Before planting this variety of barberry, you need to study its description.
Barberry Golden Rocket: description and features
Barberis of Thunberg Golden Rocket is a columnar bush, which is characterized by hard shoots, tending vertically upwards. They reach a height of 1.5 m in height and 50 cm in diameter.
Barberry of this variety has excellent decorative properties.
The shrub develops rather slowly. It has yellow-green leaves. Against the background of reddish shoots, they look quite impressive.
The flowers are light yellow in color and appear in late spring. With the advent of autumn, red berries ripen on the bushes.
How to plant barberry on the site
Culture should be planted in sunny areas, which may have a slight shadow. In the absence of sun, the leaves are able to lose yellow color and turn green.
To plant barberry in this way, ripe fruits are needed. From them you need to remove the bones and dry them. Before planting, the seeds should be washed in a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
It is recommended to plant this variety of barberry in the winter. Thanks to this, it is possible to achieve natural stratification. Sprouts will appear only next year.
After 12-18 months, the bushes need to be landed on a permanent site.
For reference! In this case, barberry will bear fruit only after 2-3 years.
Planting seedlings in open ground
Golden Rocket barberry bushes should be planted in spring or autumn. This culture needs a well-lit place. If you plant a bush in the shade, its leaves will become pale in color.
For a day, the roots of the seedling should be placed in a solution of potassium permanganate. To plant a plant, you must perform the following steps:
- Dig a hole with a minimum size of 60 cm.
- Lay out the drainage layer. It can consist of crushed stone, crushed brick, sand.
- Fill the recess with fertile soil.
- Plant a bush and lightly tamp the soil.
- Water the plant.
- Trim the shoots, leaving a few buds on them. This will ensure that the culture is rooted.
Important!After carrying out planting, the trunk circle should be covered with a layer of mulch - this helps to maintain moisture in the soil.
When carrying out planting, it is important to follow the basic rules
How to care for Golden Rocket barberry
To achieve success in the cultivation of Thunberg barberry Golden Rocket, he needs to provide complete and high-quality care.
The crop needs to be moistened only during prolonged droughts. The rest of the time, the bush has enough rainfall.
To avoid the spreading of water during irrigation, you need to make a roller around the perimeter of the trunk circle. Its height should be 10 cm. From under the bush, you must select the soil to get a large hole.
For watering, you must use warm water, which is recommended to be poured under the root. After moistening the soil, it needs to be loosened and weeds removed.
- Top dressing
Fertilizing a crop is best done with organic means. To do this, in the spring, when digging up the soil, you need to make compost or humus.
In autumn, the soil should be covered with a mulching layer, which consists of loose organic matter. Peat or compost is perfect for this.
The plant can not be cut. Sometimes you need to shorten too long branches that stick out in different directions. Also pruning can be done to remove frozen shoots.
Barberry does not need regular pruning
Barberry can be propagated in different ways:
- Cuttings. To propagate the culture in this way, cuttings from well-developed shoots must be cut. This is done in the spring before the leaves bloom. Planting material should be placed in the ground and covered with a film. To accelerate the appearance of roots, you need to use growth stimulants. When new leaves appear, the film can be removed. Plants need moderate watering and loosening the soil. Transplant them to a permanent site in the fall.
- Division of the bush. For the procedure, the bush must be carefully removed from the ground and cut into fragments. Each of them should have growth buds and roots. The plant is immediately planted in a permanent place.
- Layering. In the spring you need to take annual branches and bend to the ground. Secure with a bracket and sprinkle with soil. Water the plant periodically. By autumn, he developed developed roots.
- Seeds It is necessary to collect planting material from ripe fruits. To do this, remove the bones and dry them. Barberry is planted in the winter. This will provide planting material with stratification. Sprouts will appear next year. The first fruits should be expected only after 2-3 years.
Diseases and Pests
Culture can suffer from diseases and pests. Shrub is often exposed to fungal infections. In this case, the leaves wither and wither. To cope with the problem, it is recommended to use fungicides.
Of the pests, the bushes most often suffer from barberry aphids. At the same time, from the wrong side of the leaves you can see yellow-red insects that absorb plant sap. As a result, the leaves dry out and begin to crumble. This creates problems with the formation of flower buds.
As a preventative measure, it is recommended to spray the bushes with folk infusions and protective equipment. For example, for this, you can insist mashed garlic and add laundry soap to the mixture. An infusion of tobacco is considered an equally effective recipe.
Attention! With a serious aphid invasion, it makes sense to use chemical insecticides.
Plant diseases are accompanied by the appearance of spots on the foliage
Before frost, the soil around the bushes must be insulated. To do this, it should be sprinkled with peat, compost, crushed bark. Sawdust is also great.
Important!Adult barberry bushes are resistant to frost, so they can not be covered. Young plants up to 2-3 years old should be insulated with spruce branches and fallen leaves.
Use in landscape design
The culture has excellent decorative properties. Therefore, it can be used to decorate garden plots. An excellent solution would be to use the plant as a hedge. In this case, the bushes need to be placed at a small interval. At the same time, plants require systematic pruning.
A perfect solution would be to combine culture with yellow-pink leaves with evergreen conifers. Barberry can be used to decorate mixborders. At the same time, it should be combined with cultures of contrasting colors.
You need to choose plants according to shades and shape. An excellent option would be to use barberry as a tapeworm.
Barberry of this variety is often used to decorate plots.
In folk medicine, you can use different fragments of the plant. Depending on the selected part and method of preparation, it is possible to achieve the following effects:
- strengthen the immune system;
- activate the digestive organs;
- stop bleeding;
- purify the blood;
- reduce the likelihood of tumor formation.
Important! Barberry has a rather powerful effect on the body. Therefore, before using it, consult a specialist.
Barberry of this variety is a wonderful ornamental plant, which can serve as an ornament to any site. This is a fairly unpretentious crop that does not need frequent watering or top dressing. Therefore, it is very popular among gardeners.