Euonymus (Eynomus in Latin) is a universal plant. It is grown by conventional and container methods. A cute bush will truly adorn any space. But he will give pleasure only with proper care of the bush.
Description of euonymus
This is a whole class of plants, which has over 200 species. The habitat is the entire Eurasian continent. In Russia, cultivation of 10% of the varieties of mainly artisanal species has been mastered. But in nature there are also whole trees more than 3 m high. Some of them are threatened with extinction due to their inability to human activity.
Here is just a brief overview of some evergreen and deciduous varieties:
- European - a cold-resistant tree up to 6 m high. The appearance of this euonymus is a shrub. It is resistant not only to frosts, but also to drought with gas contamination of cities. In the garden culture of European countries forms a hedge. It is divided into several subspecies: weeping, dwarf, etc. They differ in the color of the leaves and the size of the bush. Small-leaved is available in expositions of botanical gardens around the world, including Nikitsky in Yalta;
Luxurious euonymus sacred to many nations
- winged is found mainly in Southeast Asia. He took root in Russia, on Sakhalin. He got his name for the similarity of branches with wings. The plant is impressive in size: a tree or shrub does not exceed 4 m in height. It has high winter hardiness, but in severe frosty winters the tips of the branches freeze and require pruning in spring. It is unpretentious to the landing site, but prefers the most lit areas. Planting and caring for this sort of euonymus in the Urals is impossible;
- fortune teller. The species, until recently, was considered endemic. It grows in the south and in northwest China. Fortune is markedly different from its brethren. It is winter-hardy, in nature the euonymus creeping in winter is covered with a ball of snow. It tolerates pruning and transportation. Fortune Emerald Gold - one of the varieties of euonymus for planting and care in the regions of Siberia and the Urals.
A variegated euonymus completes the selection. His homeland is sunny Japan. Growing is a pleasure and does not take much time. He took root very well in Russia, especially in the Siberian region. Breeders bred more than fifty varieties up to 7 m high. The plant feels great in open ground and in a room.
For your information! The only exception is the pseudo-laur, which grows exclusively in greenhouse conditions and does not tolerate the spirit of low temperatures.
Some types of euonymus - creeping or variegated - are striking in their diversity. The patterns and shape of the flowers are changing. The colors of the leaves are mainly green and red.
Euonymus in a container
Beresklet: landing and care on the site
Euonymus is a shrub that is not picky about planting conditions. What matters to him is not the composition of the soil or the presence of shade, but timely watering. It is necessary to plant a ground cover bush in mild weather. The best time for landing is the middle spring with stable positive weather or early autumn. Then the roots of the plant will have time to settle down to the onset of night frost.
For your information! An ideal place to plant a plant is an area well lit by the sun with a lace shadow. The soil must first be moistened and nutrients and sand added to it. In this case, the shaded areas of the leaves will take on bluish tones with white-yellow spots or a frame.
The euonymus tolerates frosts well, but is sensitive to waterlogging. He is able to get wet.
How to plant a mix of euonymos:
- Measure the length of the seedling root.
- Pit twice as much.
- Fill the bottom of the pit with a drainage layer of broken brick or expanded clay.
- Lay part of the pit with fertilizers, humus or compost.
- Plant a shrub of an euonymus. Seal the ground around a shallow plant.
- Water it.
It is worth sticking to some nuances.
- Water the plant is plentiful, but infrequently. To retain moisture and protect the euonymus from drying out, the earth must be rammed and mulched. Ideally, a signal for watering becomes a change in the behavior of the plant: it begins to wither, or cracks appear on the ground in the area of the bush.
- In order to prevent the bushiness of the bush and the contact of the branches with the ground, their tips need to be pinched. Without this, access to the plant of pests and diseases transmitted from the soil surface is facilitated.
- For effective growth, the tree will need top dressing. It is applied twice a season: in the spring before the first flowering and in the fall after the last. Natural mineral fertilizers are used, but in the spring it is recommended to add organic compounds such as slurry.
- Along with top dressing, the bush is treated with Bordeaux liquid. The tool will protect it from the main diseases - powdery mildew and rot of the trunk. For reliability, the treatment is carried out in a course for a month: three sprayings with an interval of 10 days in spring and autumn.
- Pruning is carried out in winter before the appearance of the kidneys. Ancient, broken branches or with signs of disease are subject to unconditional removal. Proper pruning forms an elegant decorative bush or tree.
- As winter mulch, leaves, peat or stale sawdust are suitable. Plants under two years of age need additional shelter.
With proper care, the bush will bloom repeatedly in one season. Cycles of active flowering and dormancy alternate with an interval of several weeks.
Important! Japanese euonymus flowers are poisonous, therefore care for it cannot be trusted to preschool children without supervision.
The euonymus reproduces well in several ways. First of all, these are seeds. Specialized agricultural stores offer a wide range of planting stock for this crop. For the first time, many buy them, and then collect them from their own bushes after the ripening of seed boxes.
After collecting and removing the shell, they are treated with a weak solution of potassium permanganate and placed in the ground. If spring sowing is planned, then the seeds are additionally stratified and placed in a moist substrate. In this form, it is convenient to store future seedlings in the refrigerator for up to five months. Such tactics bring results - friendly shoots and strong seedlings. Planted them after the retreat of frost according to the scheme above.
Also, the bush can be propagated by cuttings. For this, copies no older than 5 years are suitable. Future cuttings are harvested in June-July with a maximum length of 8 cm. The lower edges of the slice are treated with root and gamair, and then placed in a closed fertile soil, mulched with grass. Then sprinkle with sand a layer of up to 4 cm and leave alone for one and a half to two months. After that, they are planted in a permanent place.
To plant the cuttings you need to prepare. The process takes 2 years. In the first year in the spring, the garden is well worked out with a shovel and spilled with a solution of boric acid according to the instructions. Then it needs to be covered with a black plastic wrap until weed emerges. The procedure is repeated up to 4 times per season.
The following year, in the spring, the bed is again dug up, introducing 50% thiodane or 5-7% karbofos and spilled with a 10% solution of boric acid, prepared according to the instructions on the package.
For your information! Before planting the cuttings, the ground is covered with a black film. Immediately before planting, the soil is loosened and single weeds removed.
Immediately after the snow melts, the Japanese euonymus can be propagated by root offspring. The recommended length for such a procedure is 20-30 cm. This is the most simple, but pedantic scheme. The plant must be carefully dug out with a lump and transferred to a prepared hole or container.
Japanese euonymus: planting and care at home
This method is suitable for everyone who grows non-ground cover bushes of this culture in apartments. He will also help out those who grow non-winter-hardy euonymus varieties in the Urals and Siberia.
- A pot or container is required. At the bottom, it is advisable to make drainage holes if they are not there initially.
- Then pour a layer of drainage - broken brick, expanded clay.
- Prepare a nutritious soil mixture based on the proportions of 3 parts of turf land, 2 parts of peat and part of sand. Plant in it a plant from seedlings, a root process or a stalk. To water.
Plant care consists of the same steps as for open ground. For irrigation use settled water at room temperature. The frequency depends on the degree of drying of the earthen coma. In the hot summer months, watering is speeded up and additionally sprayed leaves from the spray gun. For this period it is better to substitute it in fresh air, for example, on the balcony. Also, once a week after irrigation, a comprehensive top dressing for hardwood is introduced.
Note! Indoor euonymus needs a transplant. Up to 4 years, this is done annually, then the frequency is reduced to once every two years.
Indoor Japanese euonymus
Transplant after purchase
She should not be put off. Culture needs solid soil, not an industrial depleted substrate. The transplant is performed according to a scheme similar to the classic landing from scratch. Next, you need to look after him according to the usual instructions described above.
Upon transition to dormancy in the fall, preliminary trimming of old branches and the formation of a crown are carried out. In no case should they be thrown away. It is important to correctly integrate them into the shelter along with fallen leaves. Last year’s mulch is better not to leave, but to transfer to compost, falling asleep a new one. The thickness of the mulch layer should be slightly more than 10 cm. Then it should be covered with three layers of non-woven material like agrofibre. The composition is completed by binding with twine and fixation with spruce branches. Good winter hardiness is provided.
On this description of the strange culture came to an end. Having read the article, they now know everything about the main features of the life of this wonderful shrub: where the euonymus grows, how to plant it, especially after purchase, as well as care.